Ep 49: Dame Sally Davies & global governance. AI for antibiotic discovery. Nanomovement diagnostics.
June comes with a bang! Tune in to this episode to hear the insights of the incomparable Dame Sally Davies, former UK Chief Medical Officer and current UK Special Envoy on Antimicrobial Resistance. We chat with her about her path to being a global advocate on AMR, the need for better global governance, and what her vast experience has taught her. Talking to her was a truly inspirational experience.
In the news section, we bring you a very cool article using deep learning and computational methods (hello Artificial Intelligence!) to find a potential antibiotic against Acinetobacter baumanii, and a brief study presenting the results of a new antimicrobial susceptibility testing that is independent of growth by analyzing bacterial nano-movement
You can follow us and subscribe to our podcast to get new episodes directly in your preferred device and platform:
or you can listen to our 49th episode right here:
- Dame Sally Davie's profile page.
- Uppsala Dialogue meeting: Experts from more than 20 countries gathered for collaborative actions on ABR. Coverage of the mentioned Uppsala meeting.
- Global Leader's Group on AMR's website.
- Deep learning-guided discovery of an antibiotic targeting Acinetobacter baumannii. First article covered in the news.
- A new antibiotic, discovered with artificial intelligence, may defeat a dangerous superbug. CNN coverage of the first article.
- Simple optical nanomotion method for single-bacterium viability and antibiotic response testing. Second article covered in the news.
- Testing antibiotic resistance with a fast, cheap, and easy method. Popular news coverage of the second article.