Projects at Uppsala Antibiotic Center
Uppsala Antibiotic Center started funding 14 PhD projects in 2017 and 14 additional ones in 2021, all relating to antibiotics and the curbing of antimicrobial resistance. These projects are located at the three disciplinary domains at Uppsala Univeristy (UU) and at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU). Aditionally, we support 3 tenure-track researchers, one in each disciplinary domain at UU. Check details for every project in the left menu or cliclicking the title project below.
List of PhD Projects
Medicine & Pharmacy
- Can early treatment with antibiotics affect the risk of type 1 diabetes?
- Colistin & pharmacokinetics / pharmacodynamics.
- Systematic mapping of antibiotic usage patterns among sick children across LMICs.
- Improving access to diagnostics to combat antimicrobial resistance.
- Horizontal gene transfer & antibiotic resistance.
- Antibiotic susceptibility testing with microfluidics technology.
- New strategies for individualized and rational use of antibiotics in difficult-to-treat infections.
- A generic nanosized drug delivery platform for optimal absorption of antibiotics with minimal intestinal side effects.
- Chromosomal Hybrids: A source of globally-spread antibiotic-resistant pathogens.
- AMR-drivers: addressing the distal drivers of AMR through targeted AMR-, or integrated SDG-policy and action.
- Klebsiella pneumoniae biofilms: from virulence to antibiotic resistance.
- Deciphering the Effects of Antibiotics in Infected Tissue by Organotypic Modelling.
- Combination therapy against multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria to enhance the activity of available antibiotics, prevent emergence of resistance and improve patient outcomes.
- A DNA-encoded compound library-based approach for the discovery of novel LepB binders.
- Drug discovery and development of DNA-encoded libraries and their application for the identification of inhibitors targeting LpxH
- Discovery and development of small-molecule antibiotics against C. difficile.
Science & Technology
- Heteroresistance & antibiotic-susceptibility testing.
- Understanding metronidazole resistance.
- Formation of persister bacteria in Salmonella and the role of ProQ.
- Targeted eradication of bacterial pathogens.
- Development of metallo-β-lactamase inhibitors.
- Type I toxin-antitoxin systems and persister cell formation.
- Microfluidics-based single-ribosome tracking for studies of heterogeneous cell response to antibiotic treatment.
- Antibiotic resistance by target binding – an unexplored mechanism of clinical relevance.
Humanities & Social Sciences
- Antibiotic prescription in Swedish primary care consultations.
- The socio-economic conditions for Swedish antibiotics research.
- Understanding the Swedish antibiotic stewardship.
- A stakeholder analysis of the performance of international multi-sectorial partnerships addressing AMR.
Hosted at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)