New Antibiotics from small molecules
Applying organic chemistry towards the design and synthesis of small molecule probes, here we hope to elucidate how small molecules influence both the host and other bacteria. This includes investigating the molecular mechanisms of colonization resistance, how bacterial toxins inflict their damage upon the host and developing new chemical biology tools to analyse and influence bacterial function. This work will provide new opportunities for antibiotic drug discovery.
RELATED PUBLISHED RESEARCH
Antibiotics and Bacterial Infection
- Sulfadiazine Masquerading as a Natural Product from Scilla madeirensis (Scilloideae). L. P. Robertson*, L. W. K. Moodie, D. C. Holland, K. C. Jandér and U. Göransson, Journal of Natural Products, 2020, 83 (4), 1305-1308
- Photoactivated Colibactin Probes Induce Cellular DNA Damage. L. W. K. Moodie,* M. Hubert, X. Zhou, M. F. Albers, R. Lundmark, S. Wanrooij and C. Hedberg*, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2019, 58, 1417-1421.
- Lipid accumulation promotes scission of caveolae. M. Hubert, E. Larsson, N. V. G. Vegesna, M. Ahnlund, A. I. Johansson, L. W. K. Moodie, R. Lundmark*, eLife. e55038
- Palladium-Mediated Approach to Coumarin-Functionalized Amino Acids. Organic Letters, L. W. K. Moodie, S. Chammaa, T. Kindahl and C. Hedberg*, 2017, 19, 2797-2800.
- Synthesis and Spectroscopic Properties of Fluorinated Coumarin Lysine Derivatives. L. Shukla, L. W. K. Moodie, T. Kindahl and C. Hedberg*, The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2018, 83, 4792-4799. Medicinal Chemistry of Natural Products
- Natural cholinesterase inhibitors from marine organisms. L. W. K. Moodie, K. Sepčić, T. Turk, R. Frangežc and J. Svenson*, Natural Product Reports, 2019, 36, 1053-1092.
- Design and Biological Evaluation of Antifouling Dihydrostilbene Oxime Hybrids. L. W. K. Moodie*, G. Cervin, R. Trepos, C. Labriere, C. Hellio, H. Pavia and J. Svenson, Marine Biotechnology, 2018, 20, 257-267.
- Prevention of Marine Biofouling Using the Natural Allelopathic Compound Batatasin-III and Synthetic Analogues, L W. K. Moodie, R. Trepos, G. Cervin, K. A. Bråthen, B. Lindgård, R. Reiersen, P. Cahill, H. Pavia, C. Hellio, and J. Svenson*, Journal of Natural Products, 2017, 80, 2001-2011.
- Probing the Structure–Activity Relationship of the Natural Antifouling Agent Polygodial against both Micro- and Macrofoulers by Semisynthetic Modification, L. W. K. Moodie, R. Trepos, G. Cervin, L. Larsen, D. S. Larsen, H. Pavia, C. Hellio, P. Cahill, and J. Svenson*, Journal of Natural Products, 2017, 80, 515-525.
- Synthetic analogs of stryphnusin isolated from the marine sponge Stryphnus fortis inhibit acetylcholinesterase with no effect on muscle function or neuromuscular transmission, L. W. K. Moodie, M. C. Žužek, R. Frangež, J. H. Andersen, E. Hansen, E. K. Olsen, M. Cergolj, K. Sepčić, K. Ø. Hansen* and J. Svenson*, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2016, 14, 11220-11229.
- Marine AChE inhibitors isolated from Geodia barretti: natural compounds and their synthetic analogs, E. K. Olsen, E. Hansen, L. W. K. Moodie, J. Isaksson, K. Sepčić, M. Cergolj, J. Svenson* and J. H. Andersen*, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2016, 14, 1629-1640.